Teaching an Old Dog, New Tricks!

Who says as an old dog you can’t learn new tricks? After years of using Boesner sketchbooks it was time to try something new ...... and here it is, 



my new Hahnemühle Nostalgie sketchbook (and a Staedler pigment liner pen!). For years I've kept a small sketchbook to pop into my handbag and I do sketch wherever I can to stave off boredom when at airports, doctor's appointments and when travelling. Unfortunately, my old favourites from Boesner are heavy because they have 64 sheets of 170 gsm paper and because they have no closure they tend to get grubby and dog-eared in my handbag,  so while I was trawling in my local art supply shop, I spotted this! 


The Hahnemühle Nostalgie Sketchbook, hard covered 190 gsm natural white (although I find it extremely white in comparison to my Boesner's). Hahnemühle say on their website that the cover is hard-wearing and that the sketchbook opens completely flat so you can sketch over the middle of both pages easily. There are 40 sheets of paper making the sketchbook more compact and lighter than my others. ''Clearly defined pen control'' and  ''suitable for use with all dry-painting techniques in addition to wet colours'', perfect for me as I enjoy splashing on a bit of watercolour too. 
Of course there are loads of different sizes but this one is 11cm x 15cm and in landscape format. Over the years I have tried others to be honest but there were always hitches: Moleskine, was nice and solid and I liked the rubber band closure, but the paper was very yellow and seemed to be treated with a substance that didn’t absorb my watercolours. Following on was the Canson Artbook 180 which was great because it opened flat but the paper at 96 gsm was too thin and finepen or watercolour soaked through. The Canson had a magnetic clasp which really didn't last that long. There have been a couple of no names in between too, looking for the perfect sketchbook is like searching for the holy grail. 
My first impression was indeed how great lines went down, the paper is fine grained allowing the pen to move fluidly without feeling slippy. As you can see in my airport sketch, working over the middle of the double spread was a doddle and it seems to take watercolour very well without buckling or bleeding, however I only did a really mini-sketch with watercolour so I definitely need to explore more on that front. 
Would love to hear from you about your sketchbook adventures, loves, hates and pet sketchbook peeves. 

Comments

Popular Posts