Seychelles Sojourn!

Time to take another peek into my posh Stillman and Birn holiday memory sketchbook, this time we' re taking a Seychelles sojourn. 



My first trip was about 14 years ago and we stayed in Baie Lazare, 21/2 Kilometres of white sand and stunning turquoise sea, pirates actually did bury treasure here! Although beautiful the beach was not without its dangers, a deep area of shale hade to be negotiated when getting out of the sea combined with some strong waves,  this made an elegant ascent out of the water a la Ursula Andress impossible. I ended up being tossed and rolled about like a beached whale. Besides losing my dignity my bikini bottoms were also nearly dragged off, more undress than Andress I can say. 
Flora and fauna were amazing, passion fruit grew everywhere, fabulous blooms and the hugest spiders I have ever seen! The pencil sketch of what appears to be female anatomy is in fact one of the famous Coco de Mer coconuts, and yes they do look vulgar, there are ''male'' coconut trees with male appendages, and female and legend says that they meet secretly at night to mate, woe bedtide anybody who spies them, blindness or instant death is the penalty! These coconuts are only to be found in the Seychelles and the Maldives, you can buy them as souvenirs you'll need your credit card though, they start at about 500$!



Other things that grow in abundance in the Seychelles are boobs, yes you read that correctly ...... boobs! The ladies here were very generously endowed, my own abundant assets were peanuts in comparison to those of the Seychelloise. 
Mahé has a great bus service and so we toured the island by local bus, the two boys here got in at one of the many stops and sat on the bench beside me. At first I couldn't understand why, although we had lots of space, they kept moving closer and closer, until I realised they wanted to shyly touch my skin and hair! All the children here, were in immaculate school uniform! 
At our hotel we often heard a famous Seychelle song, praising the famous clocktower in the capital Victoria, always one for a bit of culture we visited the delights of the capital Victoria, expecting Big Ben, the clock tower was a let down, small and painted in naff silver Hammerite. Still laugh about that visit today! The food market however was amazing and well worth a visit, those are the gates in my sketchbook.
Food was good but some things were very different, we picked up croissants at breakfast and slathered them with butter and jam, only to find they were salty. One evening a huge group of nuns arrived at the hotel restaurant for the buffet dinner, the buffet looked spectacular as always. Highlight was a huge fish, spectacularly presented, as the buffet opened the nuns swarmed all over it like a plague of locusts (the nunnery food was obviously not so great!) my hubby decided to jump into the foray, unfortunately the nuns were quicker and like in a cartoon, all that remained of the fish were head, tail and bones! Awwww, lovely memories! 
So, that was our Seychelles Sojourn for today ........ funny, I much prefer looking at my holiday sketchbooks than looking at photos, probably because I don't feature in my sketches, and I am glad to say that there are No, photos of my beached whale sea exit which my hubby loves to remind me of! 

Comments

Popular Posts