A Doll's House Dream!

Delving into my photos today because artistically 2023 is a non starter, have to get my finger out and get going! 
Here’s some older sketches done during and after a visit to the museum in Bayreuth. The fabulous antique writing box was gifted to us on our wedding day 35 years ago.



After all the festive eating and drinking getting squashed into a corset actually seems like a good solution to the post Christmas pounds/kilos. I have to say the dainty silk shoes probably wouldn’t last 20 seconds but very pretty anyway!  And here is the photo of a dream of mine. A fabulous period dolls house. I'd love a wooden kit to put together myself and paint and decorate in a certain style (probably Rococo) and this one in Bayreuth was lovely.
Did I never have a dolls house? Yes, I did but it wasn’t quite like this and that was the problem. 



The whole dolls house drama started with my best friend Alice, she was given her grandmother's Victorian dolls house to play with, I loved it! I'd obviously prattled on about wanting a dolls house so come Christmas (Dad at the last minute as usual) was seen building a tall (and very minimalist) modern dolls house. Dad, although dreaming about being an architect didn’t have exactly have the technical skills to create a Victorian Era Villa and on Christmas morning, taaaaa daaaaa! There it was, the modern, white, minimalist house ….. what I'd loved about the old dolls house were a) the stairs and b) the electric lights and unfortunately both of these were missing. Ungrateful, well I suppose you could say I was but unfortunately as a child I really was into these details!
Years later, my daughter wanted the Barbie picnic van for Christmas, after 6 hours of building, sticking, holding we were all fed up and we had just started to press the plastic forks and teaspoons out of their moulds, my aunt shouted (one G&T too many) just throw them away, she'll never notice! The thing is, I knew she would …. ! Sometimes it is the little things that count. 
My daughter bought me a fabulous wee kit last year for a mini dolls apartment and guess what, it had stairs and electric lights and I was in heaven! 

Comments

Popular Posts