Fire and Ice! Or Maybe Not?

Titles, titles, titles, I'm having trouble lately finding titles for my paintings. Good that I'm not such a prolific artist or I'd probably spend more time thinking about titles than painting! When my works are on the easel they tend to have a working title which I scribble on the masking tape holding my support to the board. During the time on the easel I tend to have other ideas and by the time I'm finished, my mind is usually boggled. 



Winter Embers

So here it is '' Winter Embers'', or ''The Warmth of Winter Embers'' or ''Warming Winter Embers'', or ''Long Forgotten Fires'' or  ''Fire and Ice '' ....... or ... oh choose for yourself! Round and round the thoughts go in my head; months later I tend to come up with a fabulous title or I read the title of someone else’s painting and think why didn’t I come up with that? 
The easiest solution of course is '‘untitled'' but both words and my work mean a lot to me and so I feel they deserve to mingle together and start a meaningful relationship. Maybe offering multiple choice titles is the answer to this dilemma, like the selection above. Speaking of a selection , let’s zoom in on this painting (whatever it may be called) and look at the selection of colours involved in the ''embers''. 
Isn’t it amazing how the flickers of purples pop out close up but when viewing from a distance they are more subdued. 
In painting it is all about balance and that I feel should be reflected in the title, the balance between what the painting means to me and what the viewer feels when viewing. 
That said, I'm still not sure which title is the best ......! Maybe I need to think of another one. 





Comments

Popular Posts