If I Were a City,

If I were a city, I would be ...... Hamburg! There are loads of cities I love but Hamburg is me! 
Hamburg; water, elegance, punk, red light district (Reeperbahn, I've never been!), arty, multi-culti, luxury shopping, nordic style and fabulous wharves. A city of contrasts and bridges, Hamburg has more bridges than Venice! Normally, it has an amazing Christmas market so you can sip mulled wine and watch the Christmas lights reflected in the Alster Lake which is in the middle of the city. 
This is the start of a sketchbook page, a tribute to Hamburg. 



Here I've sketched the Hygieia fountain, which is to be found in the inner courtyard of the amazing Hamburger city hall. Just the right time for this, Hygieia is the greek goddess of health and hygiene and the statue is a tribute to the 8000 victims who died in a Cholera epidemic in Hamburg in 1892. 


This is the exterior of the famous city hall, spectacular isn't it? Rumour has it that with 673 rooms it has 6 more rooms than Buckingham palace and that tower is 112m high. I never cease to be amazed by the neo-Renaissance architecture and the turquoise, green of the copper roof. 
Gobsmacking, full of delicious details and endless diddly bits that I love sketching! 
Such a pretty city, Hamburg! 

Comments

Popular Posts