It’s Never too Late for Something New!

It’s never too late to try something new and yesterday I popped into Würzburg to sketch with the local Urban Sketchers Würzburg/Unterfranken.  As I usually sketch alone this was a premiere and I really wondered if it was my thing! What a surprise……. I met a group of really nice people and spent two hours sketching on the banks of the Main! 
Here is my motif and you can see the difficulties ….. backlighting and the Festung Marienberg in shadow. 



This is one of the major sights in Würzburg, looking down upon the city centre below. 
Here’s my finished work, I've had to use filters so you can see the castle more easily. The castle itself is built on a site that dates from the Bronze Age, and fortification started there around 742, over the years the castle was enlarged and more fortifications built until it finally took on its present form in 1631. 



Two hours passed in no time as we sketched and chatted in fabulous weather and here is the group! Or rather part of it, in total we were about 13 dotted around the quay (that’s me in black in the middle). 


To finish off we sat in the sun in a Biergarten and flipped through each other’s sketchbooks, all in all an enjoyable day with great like minded people, looking forward to the next meet! It’s never too late to try something new and I'm really glad I did! 



Comments

Popular Posts