Snow Sweeping in!

According to the meteorological calendar Spring started on 1 March! If you live in Germany you probably wouldn’t have noticed because it is ''baltic'' as we say in Scotland (very cold), good that I managed to get this wintery work finished before crocuses and daffodils start bursting out all over.



Snow Sweeping In 

Much as I miss water and the sea, I wouldn’t want to jump in there to be honest. 
Aaahh, water and I are a pretty dodgy combination, I love watching the swirls and movement but I have unfortunately fallen in extremely often. 
In art they often say that to paint something well you have to have felt it, if that’s the case then water must be my thing; fallen in on numerous occasions, scuba diving, snorkelling, the odd canoeing disaster (which I last mentioned on my sketchbook page about Mauritius) and of course cleaning …. that involves spending a lot of time with your hands in water. My yearning at the moment is for the sea! I miss the smell of salt, the waves swishing in and the multitude of colours! 
The sea is not always your gentle friend, on the Maldives I watched as a young couple started taking Insta snaps just where sea and sand collide. Everything went very swimmingly until the girl decided to lounge erotically at the water’s edge, putting on her best trout pout and seductively slipping off her bikini top. That’s when fate struck in the form of a large crashing wave which dragged her in, tumbled her over and spat her out covered in sand and seashells. Am I gloating? No ….. not me! I had a similar experience in the Seychelles …. without the Insta erotic.
Our hotel lay on a 3km long bay with turquoise sea and white sand … perfect? Not quite, where sand and sea collided was a knee deep bank of pebbles and seashells. Exiting the waves was tricky as you sunk knee deep into the shale, struggling to pull your legs out then resulted in the waves throwing you over and rolling you like a beached whale with a wedgie along the sand. Although I love swimming the memory of that un-Ursula Andress moment (and the fact that my better half kept laughing about it) put me off popping in for a quick dip. Off to the pool I think! 



Here's a closer look, and this photo illustrates a wee bit what different light does to your paintings! My camera on my old iPhone is no longer up to the minute and it is increasingly finding dealing with my paintings difficult. In the Upper photo you can see we've got ''colder light'' which brings out the blue tones and in the detail  photo we've got a bit warmer (later sun). It makes quite some difference doesn’t it? 





Comments

Popular Posts