And Before you Know it!

And before you know it it’s the first of Advent …… and you've got Corona! Yes, I thought I'd dodged that bullet but no it’s here as inevitable as the Christmas season. I used to be a big fan (of Christmas not Corona, although Corona beer is quite my thing) but Christmas has lost its charm and I'm glad when it’s over. This sketchbook page ''I wish it could be Christmas everyday!'' is just a wee bit sarcastic! 




While Bah Humbugging like Scrooge, I suddenly realised that for some people it is Christmas everyday, Oberammergau has not one but two of those famous German Christmas shops open all year, Christmas 12 months of the year from Monday to Saturday. Twenty years ago, I would have been delighted to work there surrounded by the latest Christmas trends, baubles, trees, decorations, Cuckoo clocks, wrapping paper … you name it, they’ve got it with bells on and glitter but now, nah! I think I'd go screaming mad after a week. 



I must say I did see one Christmas tree in there that I loved, all the baubles were Bavarian like in my sketch, Dirndls, Lederhosen, gingerbread hearts, brezen, beer mugs and heaps of blue and white Bavarian ribbon but at between 10€ and 20€ a piece they wouldn’t survive two minutes with my butterfingers, that’s why my Christmas tree baubles are (and my tree much to the disdain of the Germans) plastic. Having said that one of my favourite noises ever is the sound of breaking Christmas tree baubles, it’s such a delicate tinkle.



Call me a Christmas party pooper you may but my Christmas tree is up and lit up as brightly as the Eiffel tower and not a broken bauble in sight.
So while you’re or rather I am grinching around, spare a thought for those that have to listen to Last Christmas by Wham every day of the year, even worse I heard Elvis singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, well that was enough to put anyone off! 
Happy Elvis free, First of Advent! 



Comments

Popular Posts