Slipping into Darkness!

Sometimes you just wish that a painting gets finished, is finished or finishes itself and this one certainly took its time. On Thursday last week I was getting desperate it just didn’t seem to be pulling together at all and then boom Saturday morning, and there it was! The saying goes that a painting is often finished before the artist, I could twiddle and tweak for hours. 



Slipping into Darkness 

I finally feel my obsession with negative space and what lies between/underneath plants and grasses has finally paid off. No copping off here, no quick squiggles and done! Absolutely layer upon layer of pastel before the pale fronds and branches were added. This is a look I've wanted for years but oh boy did it take a long time to get here. 
I've also noticed that my post COVID breathing problems are not over but do I care, nope I have a result. 
Let’s take a closer peek …….



Can you see all those fab layers …. I could literally jump for joy, just what I wanted. 
So often when I finish a painting I'm on a high and then as you know I like to let my paintings mature on a shelf in my studio and after a couple of days I start getting hyper critical and then disappointment sets in let’s hope that this time I'm not going there because more layers than this are practically not possible. 
Remember I used to say I knew when a painting was finished when the masking tape fell off and my painting heaved itself off the easel. This one had to be taped back on twice! 






Comments

Popular Posts