Looking Up!

For the last couple of weeks I've been having a ''Bremen'' period, the wealth of architectural curiosities is amazing, especially if you look up! 
Here is my framed sketch of one of the amazing fassades to be seen, 



When I'm out sketching, I just use one of my (many, you can never have enough) sketchbooks but today I'm working on a pristine piece of stretched watercolour paper as you can see below! 



The sketch is 13cms x 13cms and done in sepia (a Faber Castell Pitt Artists Pen), although I'm not really a fan of using rulers, this is a little flexible ruler which I take along when out sketching. I only really draw a few construction lines, like the middle of the building and the different levels of floors and windows and then I chuck it aside and continue without, wonky lines are part of my style! 
Moving up north here has architecturally been a steep learning curve, during my art degree I studied most of the usual styles of architecture and when out sketching it helps me to nail details of buildings very quickly. This Weser or '' Northern Renaissance'' and brick Gothic is just something completely different and it is taking quite some time to get to terms with. 



However if you look up you will be amazed at the all those ''diddly bits'', what a spectacular collection! 

Comments

Popular Posts