Always Time to Sketch

Taking advantage of a fabulous day here in the north we headed off to Hooksiel, one of the many old harbours protected from the North Sea by dikes and sluice gates. Before we set out I chucked a small sketch kit together and hoped to get even 10 minutes sketching in. Normally, I head off alone to draw because sitting watching someone scribble away for an hour or so is deadly boring and there is nothing more offputting than listening to someone sighing loudly or fiddling around impatiently while you're doing your thing. 



A good tip when heading off together is to check out the highlights of your destination online before you set out, at least you have an idea of what might be interesting as a motif. This wasn’t a first visit, so I did have an idea of the buildings and boats, that said on arrival I caught sight of something very unusual, a reconstructed Viking ship. Selecting what to draw when you have 10-15 mins can be tricky, obviously you're not going to get a complete street scene or a building down on paper (or a ship in this case) so pick out some interesting details like a door or an unusual window or in my case the carved prow. Of course you can take some pics to finish off your work later, but if you are an ''urban sketcher'', this is a no go! My page here is going to be a memory page, with little details of the day as I often do on my travels. 
One of the advantages of having someone with you is getting your photo taken while you’re on the job, this photo is pretty much a one off! I hate photos of myself but I really like this one. 
Hubby waited patiently and in the unusual heat 10 mins was enough for me too, we headed off for some cold beers. 



The rest of the day was spent watching the woolly lambs grazing on the dikes, watching the sea (it was low tide and the sea was miles off) and finally heading to a fabulous fish restaurant for '' Maischolle'', young plaice fished in May when they are especially tender and yummy! 



The reward for 10 mins hard work and 10 mins of being patient! Artistically though working quickly helps you to check out a scene quickly, improve your focus and benefits hand to eye coordination. 
On one seldom occasion I met someone in Melrose abbey in Scotland who was sketching too! Her husband was pacing back and forth behind her back and pointing out the bits she had missed, he was chivvying her along (hungry perhaps?) and offering critique on every line. When she finally put down her last stroke he told her she had just ruined it and stormed off! I tell you he wouldn’t have lasted 10 minutes with me, a sound whack with the sketchbook (mine are always hard bound:)) )  would’ve sorted him out once and for all! 

Comments

Popular Posts