Paddle Your Own Canoe!

Saturday was glorious and time to saddle my trusty old steed (bicycle) and head down to the Hunte, a local river/canal. Lockdown having ended a fortnight ago people were out enjoying the sunshine but observing the 2m rule. I fell in love with a boat house down here belonging  to the Oldenburger Yacht Club, the Canoes are stored here. Actually, the building itself is a bit naff but one feature always grabs my attention, the door handles are made of paddles! Only problem is, the building is virtually always in shadow making seeing details (like the paddles!) very difficult.



Love the nautical feel of the blue doors and shutters on the windows but this building is a good case in point when looking for motifs. You've found a fab building/landscape or whatever and you want to sketch or paint it from life; check out the light first or prepare to squint for a couple of hours. 
Similarly, have a good think about where you are going to sit or stand! Do you really want to plop down on the grass (dog poo, bird poo, ants in your pants!) or is there a bench nearby, (a folding stool is a good alternative). Plonking yourself in the middle of a pavement may give you a super view but it will bother cyclists, pedestrians and passers by ( my pet hate, people who creep up from behind!). Loos, food, drink, lugging equipment, checking out your motif in advance reduces a lot of hassle although of course it’s not as spontaneous! 
Lots of spontaneous stand up paddle boarders, canoeists and swimmers (although I think it’s a big no no!) have a peek! 


I was a bit envious of one elderly couple passing me in their two seater canoe, what better a way to spend a harmonious hour together paddling away in perfect harmony ...... my (two ) experiences of canoeing with my hubby were similar to a pushmi-pullyu, that fictional animal from Dr Dolittle, two bodies joined in the middle with a head at either end (OK half unicorn/ half gazelle perhaps not!). A military man and a freethinking artist together in one boat was never going to work, he said left I paddled right, once we sank and the second time we nearly hit a jetty! Actually, we should be the perfect crew, he is great at forging ahead and I'm great at paddling in circles! Unfortunately, the reality is somewhat different ...... having gushed about the elderly couple and how nice it would be, my enthusiasm was dampened by the timely reminder of our canoeing adventures! I guess I'll just have to paddle my own canoe! 


Comments

Popular Posts