Wishing I Was Here!

Not much to say today, I had my fourth booster jab yesterday and I feel like I've been hit by a bus, so just reflecting over a past trip to Oberammergau with this sketch! 
This is the Pilatus house and was sketched in 2016 on a previous visit to Oberammergau, so-called Luftlmalerei (fresh air painting). I was here again to sketch a couple of weeks ago but instead of sketching the whole building I sketched some windows. I'll be honest, although the weather was pretty good, with temperatures at just 3 C mornings in Sept I fairly noticed the difference between sketching in late September and in late June. 



But whatever time of year, Oberammergau is a trip worth! I'd love to be sitting here now! Through that door was a kind of Open Studio where artists and artisans were exhibiting their works. I spent  a good half hour chatting to an elderly lady (I think in her late 80's) she was doing traditional gold thread embroidery, she crafts tiny flowers or borders which are used for decorating traditional wedding caps, or votive house altars and blessings. My eyes are not what they were but she was amazing, unraveling fine strands of thread and embroidering tiny leaves, each one took her 30 mins! The sad thing was that she said once she passes there is no-one who will take over her traditional handicraft. 
So, my shivers are taking over, off to bed with a sunshiny photo! Have a lovely Sunday. 




Comments

Popular Posts