Green Man Selection!

Here I've done a little Green Man collection! On the left a Green Man from Zeil am Main it was decorating a really old house. In the middle is a really fabulous example from Bamberg cathedral, I just love his sceptical face, this one probably dates from the 12th century. The completely round Green Man was from a visit to Rosslyn chapel near Edinburgh. Rosslyn featured the Da Vinci Code film and was very special to me because I enjoyed one of my mum and I's fabulous picnics there! 



After my Dad passed, whenever I visited my mum we'd choose a place to visit together and take a picnic; egg mayonnaise sarnies, chocolate eclairs, Vanilla slices or Battenberg cake and lashings of Earl Grey Tea. 
On a lovely warm day we headed off to Rosslyn, me driving and mum navigating which was adventurous because mum had lost sight in one eye and couldn’t see very well in the other, having done my driving license in Germany, I was used to driving on the other side of the road, so that was challenging too. 
We arrived safely on a late Sunday morning, and the Sunday service was still on, we decided to get the picnic stuff out. The buzz around the Da Vinci Code was still going strong and there were loads of tourists from all over the world milling around waiting to go in. We unpacked our tea plates, cups and saucers (china of course) and started to get stuck in to our goodies, the looks of envy from all those standing around were very apparent and people were taking photos of two very eccentric ''natives!''. Great day, Rosslyn was a fascinating wee chapel, regardless of whether it is the hiding place of the Holy Grail as Dan Brown would have us believe or not. There are a total of 110 Green Men decorating the inside of Rosslyn chapel alone. 
The last foliate head on the right kicked off this selection, from our village church! 

Comments

Popular Posts