I Could Do That Lying Down!

It’s so easy, I could do that lying down! Said no one about drawing ever! On holiday I fell in love with a kind of frondy palm, the wind waved its fronds like silky hair. Unfortunately, round the pool area where the object of my artistic desire was situated were lots of guests and sunloungers so the possibility of sneaking a sketch from close up wasn’t on. Instead I decided to try sketching in lying from my lounger. If that isn’t completely relaxed, I don’t know what is. 
Frida Kahlo was forced due to her streetcar accident to lie in bed for nine months, to keep her occupied and her mind off the pain her parents encouraged her to paint in bed and even had a special easel built so she could paint in lying. Not that I'm comparing myself in any way but I'd never thought of trying lying down and sketching! And here’s the result. 



Actually, I was quite chuffed when it was finished, was it tricky, no not at all ….. but of course I was only using a fineliner and not paint! I can imagine that if any paint had been involved, and knowing what a clarty midden (good Scottish expression there! Translated it means mucky pup) I am I think the situation would have been different! 


And here we are, on the lounger! To be honest, I can’t imagine how Frida coped with perspective, sloppy paintbrushes and mess and I can imagine the strain on her arm would’ve been considerable but she proved that where there was a will there was a way! 
I just had to compete with 32C and the odd splash from the pool! The only thing missing from this whole set up was a fabulous cocktail served by a hunky looking butler, (I'm sure that was politically incorrect and sexist) but at least an old gal can dream! 



Comments

Popular Posts