Brexit Pastel Horror

All this Brexit is freaking me out and is giving me food for thought as a fan of the British pastel brand Unison. Unavailable in Germany, I purchase online and am now thinking about the horror of import costs on top of the usual price of my pastels. Yes, Theresa May, you didn't consider that did you? Never mind, vegetables, cheese, toilet paper and tomatoes, which Brexit Preppers are apparently stock piling, I need an emergency Brexit pastel kit! 
To try and distract myself from the horror scenarios going through my artistic mind let’s take a relaxing peek at my sketchbook! 


This one goes back to my Maldives trip last Summer and is a worlds away from Brexit stress. Starting point where my holiday slides, with their fabulous tropical blue bows and everything else followed on. Not a fan of hitting the beach straight after breakfast, I like to stroll along the beach finding little treasures like the sea glass which also appears in the sketch. I watched the little girl top left beachcombing and sketched her from my balcony. Not a big fan of crabs, however there was a pile of them on rocks near where I watched the surfers, fortunately they were below me and I was able to sketch them without being in arms reach. 
The page is done in pencil, watercolour pencil, watercolour and fine pen, however the high humidity taught me a few lessons. My paper quickly became soggy and felt like drawing on wet kitchen roll and the pastel pencils I took turned into a sticky mess. Have to think about that for the next hols! 
Nice link to Brexit there, I'm reliably informed that if everything takes a turn for the worse I won’t be able to travel in Europe with my British passport, super! Good excuse for hitting somewhere exotic then like this .....



Not a bad prospect I'd say, my only worry is whether I'd be able to travel back into Germany. If push comes to shove I might have to remain on some tropical island, that would be really tough! I may even survive without my Unisons! 









Comments

Popular Posts